Standards-Based Grading!!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014
If you know me at all, you might already know that I get a little (*okay, maybe a LOT*) excited when it comes to standards-based grading!!  It's actually something I'm quite passionate about in the teaching world!  Our district is moving to a standards-based grading/reporting platform over the next couple of years.  

Yesterday I was asked if I wouldn't mind sharing a few of the things that help me to keep it all organized with our staff during our professional development, 2-hour late start!  I have to say, I was a bit nervous (public speaking to adults is totally different than with kids!!)  Much to my excitement, it went off without a hitch *I think!*  

The first thing that helps to keep me organized is my "Standards Binder" that I always keep at my desk for easy reference.  Our district has done a great job writing the Minnesota State Standards into "I Can" statements as our Learning Targets.


At the start of the year, I wrote out every Learning Target for the 2nd grade standards and had them laminated.  Now they are stored safely in a drawer in my room to easily be changed out as my lessons change.  This provides an easy reference for myself, my students, and anyone that may happen to pop by my room.  While it might look a little overwhelming, it really isn't.  As I mentioned in my presentation today, writing, reading and content areas will typically focus on the same learning target for the week.  I am really only changing out the math learning targets on a daily basis.



The next thing that helps to keep me organized is my quick little "test scoring sheets" that I've created.  It took a little time up front, but when it's done...it's done for years to come!!

I have one of these little sheets for each assessment in our Math Expressions curriculum for 2nd grade.  The grayed out boxes signify the standard that was addressed by that question.  I then mark them with check-marks if the student got the answer correct.  I found it to be an excellent tool when it comes to personalizing learning.  I can see exactly what standards a student (or group of students) is struggling with.  For example, after the Unit 1 test, I found that many of the students still have trouble matching a given word problem to the correct equation.  Now, in my math centers I can reinforce this standard with additional instruction.

I've also done this for our Reading assessments and it proves to be just as valuable when we are meeting in our flex reading groups!  I just love how simple it makes personalizing learning for each of the students in my class.


Last, but not least, I shared about my Reading A to Z Progress Chart.  This year it is required of each teacher K-3 to assess via Reading A to Z Running Records 4 times per year.  I have created columns for each of the months of the year in hopes that I can assess my below grade level students more often.  The darkened area represents the levels students should be at when entering and exiting 2nd grade.  This provides a great visual for myself, my students and the parents!  This chart along with a sample book of the level we want 2nd graders to be reading at can really help parents understand what their child's reading level is.  

All in all, it was a successful little presentation and I think it was well-received!  It generated lots of great questions that got me thinking about how I will continue to assess, both formally and informally in my classroom!

What do you do to keep track of your standards-based grading and assessments?
I love new ideas and am happy to share if you're interested in any of these documents!
Leave your comments, questions and ideas below!

No comments