Let's Write A Book!!

Saturday, July 19, 2014
As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I have been working on writing with my kiddos at Summer Explorers.  I have students that are entering 1st and 2nd grade, but struggle with one or more subject areas.  In particular, writing is not a favorite!  So, we read books that had no words (A Ball for Daisy) and we read books with pictures and words this week!  We talked about how everyone in our class can be an author and an illustrator!  The kids got really excited about that!

We took one day to brainstorm some writing ideas:  our favorite place, favorite toy, favorite season, and favorite animal


On the second day, I passed out "books" for each child!  We chose to write our books about "My Favorite Place."  To get the creative juices flowing, we illustrated our book on day 2.  (I can write using pictures.)



On the third day, I provided them with sentence frames for each page.  These went along with what I guided them to draw on Day 2 (i.e. Draw something you like to do at your favorite place.  Draw a picture of who/what you like to bring with you to your favorite place.)

As a class we worked through adding the sentence frames to our books and completing them using our best "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d" spelling!  (I can spell simple words.  I can write using words.  I can use punctuation.)


 I always like to model for my students what I am asking them to do.  Below you'll see a couple sample pages from my book about my favorite place, the cabin.



Here are a couple student samples.  I am so proud of the hard work these kiddos are putting into their writing!



At the conclusion of our writing time, the students had the opportunity to partner up and share their new books.  They loved this!  I most enjoyed watching non-readers, read their own work with the biggest smiles on their faces!  They realized that "they can do it!"  


I'm so proud of these kiddos!!  It's also making me excited for fall and school to start back up!  (Although I definitely don't mean to wish away summer and the fun times I'm having with my own 2 rascals, Kylie and Mason!)

No comments