Getting to Know You Puzzle

Friday, July 18, 2014

At the start of Summer Explorers I knew I wanted to have a creative "getting to know you" activity. So, I came up with making a class puzzle!  My daughter loves helping me work on projects for my classroom, so I enlisted her help!

I have two classes in Summer Explorers (a morning group and an afternoon group). So we took a sheet of poster board for each class and made each one into 25 puzzle pieces. 


I decorated a puzzle piece for each class and made sure to include some of my favorite people, places and things to do!

We knew there would be extra pieces (as 25 students would be a lot!) so my daughter decorated several puzzle pieces for each class. 

On the first day of school each child was given a puzzle piece and asked to decorate it so that we could get to know each other a little better! Then the students were asked to share their puzzle pieces aloud. It was so fun to learn a little bit about one another on the first day! As the teacher, it was also very insightful to watch the students work!

What is your favorite "getting to know you" activity and what grade do you use it with?

This activity was done with students entering 1st and 2nd grade for the upcoming year. I do think it could be used with any grade though!

No comments