Read Alouds

Sunday, July 20, 2014

For the upcoming school year I'm going to try something different.  I have mentioned before that I love the Kohl's Cares for Kids books and plush animals!  

At Summer Explorers I have brought in my Mercer Mayer Little Critter animals and new books to read aloud to my students.  I let them hold a stuffed animal, pass them around to friends and listen quietly as I read aloud the book.  We stop periodically to make predictions, ask questions and ensure that all students are engaged!  The kids are LOVING it and I feel like they are listening really well because they know they must listen well in order to have a turn to hold my friends!  

My plan is to round up all of these books + plush animal combinations to bring back to my classroom in the fall!  My kids have them all over our house!  I would like to do a read aloud to start each week off and then give the students the opportunity to "check-out" my book and stuffed animals to read alone or with a friend during Daily 5.  

I'll have to keep you posted on how it works!  Do you use an in-class library check-out system?  What one?  How does it work for you?  Please share in the comments!  I'm always looking for great ideas that are already tried & true!

No comments