Dolphins, Destin, & Sun...Oh My!!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

 

 One of the BEST things about being a teacher is "having the summers off."
One of the WORST things about being a teacher is the idea that others have that "teachers have the summers off."

This summer I was in my classroom at least 1-2 times per week, with the exception of a 12 day period that I took my kiddos on a road trip:  Minnesota ~ Tennessee ~ Alabama ~ Florida ~ Missouri ~ Minnesota

Keep in mind, like many teachers, I LOVE my job and I really don't mind being in my classroom!  What gets under my skin is when people make comments such as, "You've got the best job - you're paid all year and you get 4 months off a year with all of the breaks you have!"  That really bugs me!  

My brother recently moved to Florida with his wife and I told him from the moment I knew he was moving that the kids and I would definitely be coming to visit!  Having the time in the summer allowed me an amazing opportunity to road trip, visit many new and fun places, and spend some quality time with my brother and his wife!

While we were in Destin we went to the beach every day!  The kids loved the white, smooth sand and the clear ocean water!


Well, I should really back up for a minute - do you remember reading that this was a road trip with 2 adults and 4 kids?!  My husband had to travel and couldn't afford to take the time off for a 12 day road trip {nor did he want to spend that much time crunched in a car!} so my girlfriend and I packed up the kids and headed south for a 2 week adventure!  Above you see what one room in an apartment looks like when you unload everything for 6 people!!


While we arrived pretty late in the evening to my brother's place, we were all very hungry!  We went to a yummy Mexican Restaurant and enjoyed dinner, family and great stories of our adventures thus far!


Throughout our time in Florida we visited the Gulfarium, the beach, Shakes {best milkshakes ever!!}, Air Force Armament Museum, a dolphin-watching cruise, and time in the sun!




The Gulfarium was such a cool experience!  We were up close and personal to dolphins, alligators, sea lions, seals, sea turtles, birds, sharks, tortoises, and more!



I can't wait until we get to go back to Florida for another visit!  The kids can't wait to show off all of these cool places to their dad when he can join us!  Hopefully we can fly down next time!!

No comments