Clothespin Word Work

Thursday, July 31, 2014
 

I have seen so many cute projects on Pinterest over the past few days and one that really stuck out was using clothespins to spell words!  I figured it couldn't be that hard and would use supplies I already had lying around my classroom!  So, I gathered up a bucket of clothespins and started writing abc's on them with my colorful sharpies.


Then I took some fun ABC stickers that I had found in the $1 spot at Target and using the Dolch Sight Word Lists, I spelled words on large index cards.  I used a simple strategy to remember what words I used.  If the words were spelled out on the plain white side of the card, they are 2nd and 3rd grade sight words.  If they are spelled out on the lined side of the card, they are 1st grade sight words.


Next I had them laminated so they would stand up to the test of time!  I made good use of my time on Tuesday evening and got all 100 word cards cut out while I watched the kids do gymnastics!


The next day I brought them to Summer Explorers to see what the kids thought of them.  They were an instant hit!  The kids loved them and could hardly wait for their turn at the station.  It was great to hear the kids practice sounding out the words with their friends, spelling new words and seeing them help one another.


I can't wait to use these in my Word Work Center during Daily 5 this fall!  I'm hoping my 2nd graders will be just as excited!

What is your favorite Word Work activity and what grade do you use it with?  Share your ideas in the comments!

No comments