Daily 5: Word Work Options

Friday, November 14, 2014
I've changed how I instruct using Daily 5 a few times and each time I feel like it gets a little better!  

I am so excited to share that I get to attend the Two Sister's Daily 5 Conference in Chicago in April!  I can hardly wait!  I plan to blog about what things look like in my classroom now (before I attend the conference) but then also share some of the great things I learn and how I implement them after I attend!


Word Work is probably one of the hardest centers to make "meaningful" and ensure the students aren't just "playing with letters" during their time there.  I have purchased some things from Teachers Pay Teachers, found ideas on Pinterest and created some of my own activities for Word Work.  

One activity I use is the Flash Fluency by Stephanie Stewart on TpT (see above photo).  Students time themselves to see how quickly they can read the sight words (pictured above) or the sentences on the cards.  There are also full sheet fluency passages that the students can time themselves on while reading.  I encourage them to do this activity with a partner so that there is a little accountability if they make a mistake.


Another activity that I created during Summer Explorers are my word family eggs.  The left (small) side of the egg has an initial sound and the right side (large) has an ending sound.  Students then rotate the ending sound to match up to all of the initial sounds and read the various words.  Again, I encourage them to work with a partner for accountability.

An example of one egg is 

m    
c    
t  -ap
l    
fl    
wr    

*-ap is only written once as it is the word family that rotates, to be paired with all of the various initial word sounds.


One of my favorite stations (*and a favorite of the students*) is the Spelling Task Cards Board from Amy Lemons on TpT.  There are 20 activities the kids can do with the spelling words each week.  I change out the spelling words, so that they have the current list each week.  Our spelling words always focus on a phonics skill (every 5th week is a review week) and these activities help to reinforce the skill we're working on in class.

What are some of your favorite Word Work activities?  I'd love for you to share in the comments!

No comments