ABC's and 123's

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

When I was at Target this past weekend I found the BEST BUY!!  They have ABC's and 123's in the dollar spot and they're magnetic!  I purchased 10 sets and divided them up in these plastic pencil boxes (5 sets per box).  I am hoping that by having 5 sets of lowercase letters to a box that students can work alone or in partners to create words.  

In Summer Explorers this week we are working on "I can spell simple words."  Together we created and talked about some of the basic word families (ex. -at, -am).  Then when we had center work time the students could choose between various centers like the Phonics Eggs or these magnetic letters to work on making simple words!  The kids loved it!  Now I am on the look-out for some inexpensive cookie sheets so they can really use the magnets!


I plan to use this as a Daily 5 center for "Word Work."
What are your favorite activities for word work?

No comments